it's all in how you see it

It’s the way that we see things that makes us each different and intriguing. Every artist conveys what they see through a variety of mediums to share their perspective with others. I started thinking about this when I took a trip to the Firehouse Gallery in Burlington and saw the work of Jessica Nissen (http://jessicanissen.com). She creates Rorschach paintings and then draws over each ink blot image to illustrate what she sees. The overlaying of the drawing makes it possible for everyone to see her first thoughts when she encountered the ink blot. I really enjoyed looking at these paintings, they were all so different and interesting in their own way. There was no one theme, but a variety of imagery which made the paintings very true and real (not pre thought-out or planned).


After thinking about what I see in things and having the new year come around I was also thinking about what a friend of mine had said to me. She said you just always have to stay true to your work, make it for yourself and when you do others will see it. It’s just something good to keep in mind. I know sometimes I can get caught up thinking well I wonder what types of paintings might sell, what would the subject matter be etc, but then I just have to take a step back and realize I’m making this work for myself, don’t worry about it, just create it and do it. I just want to share what I see and stay true to it.



Comments