painting process

There's always a fine line between under-doing a painting and over-doing one. In this new series I'm really trying to focus on certain areas that will become extremely glazed, while also leaving areas with the white of the canvas and very few glazes. Now is the time to make big decisions deciding where each painting will go and how much glazing will be in each area. I want these paintings to push the ideas from the Costa Rica series even further.
(paintings in progress are posted under 2011 currently creating)

I think it's really important to have paintings in all stages, so that there is always something to work on using different types of paint application. Now that the larger paintings are in the process of glazing and the smaller paintings are in the detail/texture stage it's time to start some new paintings. I have a couple 5'x4' canvases staring me down and I have a couple more ideas for this current series, and I'm also thinking about working on a winter series (which I've never done before). There are so many colors when you really look at snow and ice, it is these types of colors that I want to explore.

(when you take a quick look it just looks white, but when you look a little closer what colors can you actually see?)

Comments