How to get there?

New surroundings always spark new inspiration, but getting there is always the challenge. Whenever I find myself with a spare moment (you know, between classes when I'm subbing or just waiting for the last 5 minutes for the cookies to be done) I pick up I'd rather be in the studio, "the artist's no-excuse guide to self-promotion" by Alyson B. Stanfield. Just the other day I found an innovative idea that I think is worth sharing (found in Action 14, Save Money and generate a buzz on a shoestring). It started off with an artist who wanted to take a trip to China but was unable to fund the plane ticket, which led to the idea of selling "shares" of her experience. If she could sell 100 shares (each share was $32) she could pay for her plane ticket. Friends, family and anyone interested could buy a share, which included a stock certificate (thank you note), handmade postcard from the final destination, a small original piece of art inspired by the trip and an invitation to the return party where a slide show of the trip would be shown. In the end, much of the trip was paid for and the connection between the artist and the share holders became an unintended but inspiring performance piece. What a great idea that benefited both the artist and the shareholders. Maybe something to think about in the future.

Comments