I wish I could skip everything and just paint...

It seems so easy to just start something new, but the white canvas is still so intimidating even though it may only be 5"x7" (that's smaller than a piece of notebook paper). How could something so small seem so big. After reading a fellow artist's most recent blog that discussed the difficulty of getting back to work after any type of hiatus, really got me to thinking what my procedures are to getting back to work and how close I am to painting.

1. regroup * check

2. what is the series going to be about *check

3. take a few photos just to get going
(plan on doing that tomorrow hopefully there will be some good light)

4. sketch it out on canvas
(so I know I should be making multiple sketches of my composition and subject matter, but I'm not sure what it is that makes me want to go directly to the canvas as soon as I have an idea. I guess I'm not the type for extreme realism or perfection. I would rather have the painting grow into its own, I have no idea what it will look like. When I start I'll only know the finished product when I have it sitting on my easel, I take the first step back and something feels right. It's finished.)

5. paint and paint some more
(this is the part I love)

Comments