Counting Colors

So I've been thinking about it, and if someone ever asked me "how many colors do you use?" or "what order and specific colors do you use?" I don't think I could answer. I think as an artist, and the creator of my own work I should know. It seems weird, but with all of my experience if I put say a yellow down first, then a blue the color of the two glazes is different then if I put that same blue down first, then the yellow. Glazing doesn't seem to be much like mixing, what I had expected when first getting into glazing with oils. It is a unique technique with endless opportunities. With this new series of paintings I'm going to write down every color I use and the sequence they were used in. Just so I stay on track:
underpainting-phalo blue
1st glaze-cadmium yellow lemon
2nd glaze-cadmium yellow deep
3rd glaze-gold ocre

Comments