Kandinsky

I thought that the writing by Kandinsky was really interesting. When he started off by saying “ It is impossible for us to live and feel, as did the ancient Greeks”, an idea that I had roughly thought about before, but in a different way. I think that a lot of the time we try to imitate the masters, but we don’t have those same feelings they had, and are not in the same situation. We can never recreate something that someone else has created, and I don’t think we can understand completely. Kandinsky says “ In the same way those who strive to follow the Greek methods in sculpture achieve only a similarity of form, the work remaining soulless for all time.” Which pretty much sums it up. It seems like a simple idea, but really makes sense once you think about it. A piece of work can resemble another, but there isn’t the same type of emotion in it. I also enjoyed when he talked about how “Such works of art at least preserve the soul from coarseness; they “key it up,” so to speak, to certain height, as tuning –key the strings of a musical instrument.” I think that as an artist you want your work to speak to the viewer and make an impact.

Comments